2016 Labor Projects
Each summer our students perform four hours of physical labor each day, participating in one of three rotating labor teams: kitchen, farm and garden, and maintenance and construction. In addition to feeding the community and working on the farm, here is a list of concrete projects our students completed around the AMS campus in the summer of 2016:
- Rebuilt Woodside’s failing deck railing.
- Replaced and fixed fascia/gutters on westside of Woodside
- Replaced Christine’s House deck.
- Shored up the large grape arbor and reinstalled the swing.
- Installed the replacement window in the treehouse
- Dredged the silt pond
- Built and launched a new raft for the pond
- Made an anchor and buoy system for pond raft(s)
- Installed a roof on the “day student” bike shed. Moved the metal bike rack to said shed
- Moved the woodpile from the ballfield to Falcon/Elizabeth’s Hall
- Split and stocked wood at Woodside/Falcon
- Finished painting Elizabeth’s Hall trim
- Re-handled a dozen mauls
- Built a composting toilet and humanure system for future Arete students
- Complete rebuild of passive solar greenhouse beds
- Cleaned up old fencing DAS and at Moon Field
- Kept water bars and ditches clear, mucked the new barn, milked Nettle, weeded/seeded/harvested garden